What Moisturizer Should I Use?
Get off to the best start each morning with a good moisturizer. It will seal in the moisture from your shower, give your skin the nutrition it needs and almost always protect your skin from the sun. But sometimes it's hard to pick the right one. Do you need one for anti-aging? But what about the few breakouts you get each month? Do you need one for oily skin then? And do you really need to switch moisturizers when the seasons change?
How to Tell What Skin Type You Have
Look at your skin first thing in the morning. Is it an oil slick? Is it dry and tight and flaky? Or does it feel pretty much normal? The morning is a great time to get a gauge on your skin type, as is after the day is through. Take a good look for noticeable shine or dry skin. It is a good indicator of where your skin falls per skin care regimens.
Do Skin Types Really Change With the Seasons?
There is no hard, fast rule that skin types change with the seasons but there are some elements of the season that might affect your skin. For example, if you live in a cold, windy, snowy area, your otherwise normal skin might become dry and parched by the weather and a moisturizer for dry skin might be in order, even if the same moisturizer would cause you to break out in the summer. And for some, their skin is the most normal in the dryer, colder months and turns oily with the humidity of the summer months.
What about your skin? Do you notice any changes with the weather? Some people do have to switch out their regimens, specifically their moisturizers in certain seasons, but definitely not everyone.
Do I Really Need SPF Every Morning?
Absolutely yes. Every day. Without fail. But so many people do not listen to this advice from dermatologists everywhere.
Sun damages skin. Sun is the #1 ager of skin and sun causes skin cancer (see our sun-safety tips). But some moisturizers don't have SPF in them due to perhaps an active ingredient being affected by the addition. In cases where your moisturizer doesn't contain SPF, it is vital to use a daily facial sunscreen.
3 Picks for Oily/Combo Skin
- : This is one of our all-time favorite moisturizers (read review). It's a great amount for the price, it hydrates beautifully and the SPF level is awesome. Its lemony smell is the perfect way to start the day.
- Boots Botanical Complexion Refining Day Moisturizer SPF 12: This moisturizer gets top reviews from users who love its lightweight texture and ability to fight acne. It also has mattifing properties, so if you deal with unwanted shine, this might help.
- : This moisturizer by Origins reduces pore size and mattifies your skin for an oil-free look all day. No SPF in this one, so make sure you use your own.
3 Top Picks for Normal/Combo Skin
Wait, Combo again? Combination skin is a tough category to fall in. Sometimes products for oily skin are perfect and sometimes you need to mix and match cleansers and moisturizers to get a good balance of oil/acne-fighting products with products that won't dry out your skin.
- CeraVe Moisturizing Cream: You can't go wrong with CeraVe's moisturizers. Recommended by dermatologists time and time again because of the products ability to properly hydrate the skin with ingredients that work. Especially beneficial for those with sensitive skin. No SPF - Use your own!
- : Give us 5 minutes and we'll tell you why argan oil is amazing for your skin. (Or just read our thoughts on argan oil.) Go straight for the oil itself or try Josie Maran's moisturizer with argan oil. We love that this contains the SPF you need along with the skin changing benefits of argan oil.
- L'Oreal Active Daily Moisturizer SPF 15: For a quick easy grab at the drugstore, try this one from L'Oreal. It is really made for all skin types and has been around for quite some time. Reviewers with sensitive skin note great results with Active.
Top 3 Pics for Dry Skin
- : This moisturizer from Skin Authority left our skin feeling pampered and hydrated. Skin Authority is known for their anti-aging products and this one is no different. No SPF again, so make note.
- Revaleskin Coffeeberry Day Cream SPF 15: Coffeeberry is a known anti-aging ingredient in skin care and Revaleskin utilizes this ingredient in their line. It's definitely a splurge product coming in over 0, but is sold in dermatology clinics and is known for the great anti-aging results it gives.
- L'Oreal Youth Code: Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30: We love the Youth Code line by L'Oreal and we're not alone. Reviews are almost all positive with just about any product in the line. (Note: If you're sensitive to fragrance, ask for a sample first.) The daily moisturizing lotion has great SPF protection, great anti-aging properties and it's easy to find everywhere.
We hope this helps you on your hunt for the perfect moisturizer. Just remember to mix it up a bit if you need as the seasons change and your skin changes due to age or daily factors and be sure to use SPF daily.
Video: What a GOOD Moisturizer Does For Your Face
This 4-Minute Stretch Routine Will Loosen Your Tight Shoulders
Jeremy Scott SpringSummer 2015 Collection – New York Fashion Week
Double wedding proposal video: Couple asks each other at the same time
Why Is Healthy Food Important
When Sore Throat Strep Turns Deadly
One Big Reason We Need to Talk More About Mental Health
Women Have Been Live Tweeting Their Periods And It’s Amazing
The Best Drugstore Skincare Products, Based on Your Skin Type
Tag: Short Hairstyles
Still Paying for Birth Control Stop That Right Now
17 Hair Tutorials You Can Totally DIY
Meet Chef Vikki Krinsky
How to Become a Stronger Teenage Girl
Dos and Don’ts of Multiple Sclerosis Diet