What do mermaids look like?
The image of a mermaid in Slavic mythology differs significantly from our current ideas about these fantastic creatures, which were mostly formed under the influence of modern Western cinema, where mermaids are portrayed as beautiful maidens with fish tails. However, this appearance is peculiar to sea maidens - Western European mermaids, who most likely inherited their appearance from Homer's beautiful sirens, luring sailors into the depths of the sea with their magic singing.
According to traditional Russian ideas about how mermaids look, they outwardly differ little from people. In their appearance, Slavic mermaids are most similar to ancient Greek naiads and Germanic Ondines, the distinctive feature of which is the absence of a tail and the ability to get out of the water and move on land, which Western European sea maidens cannot do.
Numerous folk bikes, legends and bylichkas tell in great detail how real mermaids look, but often these descriptions differ significantly from each other.Nevertheless, it is still possible to identify some common features of mermaids, which are mentioned in almost every such story.
Appearance and morals of mermaids
- All mermaids have long flowing hair, most often of light brown color, but some sources sometimes talk about green, like river mud, hair.
- Mermaids usually look like young girls with pale translucent skin. According to folk beliefs, drowned-maidens, suicides, or children who have died unbaptized are transformed into mermaids (they are also called mawki).
- Most folk stories say that mermaids go naked, but sometimes they are dressed in long white shirts or torn sundresses.
- Mermaids love to go out on a coastal meadow on moonlit nights and weave wreaths of grass and flowers on their heads, which they wear on their heads until dawn.
- Mermaids often go to the woods at night, where they swing on the branches of tall trees, shout over their faces and scare the late travelers with their laughter.
- Russian peasants believed that mermaids arranged dances in the meadows, ran and frolicked in the sowed fields, and in those places where mermaids had fun with the full moon, all grasses grow especially well and the greatest harvest is born.
In this article we tried to tell you in detail about how mermaids look.Photo and video materials, as well as numerous artistic illustrations that you can easily find on the Internet, will make our story more visual.