Smell lost, what to do?
In our body, all the senses are important, but when any of them stops working properly, our life becomes completely uncomfortable. Often, such seemingly insignificant diseases, like a runny nose, sometimes result in serious complications, causing loss of smell, and as a result, loss of taste in consumed food. So what to do if your sense of smell is gone?
If you have lost your sense of smell and taste in your head cold, your appetite has worsened, you have fever and weakness, then most likely you have antritis, and therefore you urgently need an ENT because this disease is dangerous. Sinusitis is an inflammation of the sinuses of the nose, as a result of which the sinuses swell, the outflow of mucus stops, it stagnates, and pus is formed. Loss of smell or anosmia occurs when, in viral diseases, the neuro-obstructive epithelium is destroyed, and signals about odors cease to flow to the brain. That is why the sense of smell is lost.
How to treat loss of smell
What to do if you noticed that you have lost your sense of smell and taste. Medical treatment should appoint a doctor, but in addition to the main treatment, you can also be treated using the following methods.
- There are special drops to improve the flow of mucus. Ordinary vasoconstrictor drops will not help you with this. Buy Rinoflaimucil and Derinat. Drip these drugs 4-5 times a day at the first sign of a nasal disease. Sinupret drops are also good at treating sinusitis, and when the smell and taste are gone. Drink them 50 drops 3 times a day for two weeks.
- To get rid of this scourge it is necessary to cure, above all, a runny nose, to restore the outflow of mucus from the nose. Inhalations or steam baths are well suited for this. Take a saucepan and boil sage, calendula, nettle or mint in it, you can add a few drops of fresh garlic juice to the water. Cover yourself with a blanket or towel and breathe over the steam for 15-20 minutes. However, this procedure is contraindicated if you have a fever.
- After instillation of drugs and inhalation, it would be good to rinse the nasal cavity. To do this, you can use either a syringe or buy a special Dolphin nose wash kit.Saline solution perfectly washes away clots of mucus from the nose. It does not hurt you and rinsing tonsils. Washing and rinsing can be done up to 5-6 times a day.
- Well help tampons made of honey, inserted into the nose. To do this, take a cotton pad, twist it into a tampon, soak it in honey and insert such a tampon into each nostril. Go so 20 minutes. Then remove and clean the nose well from the accumulated mucus, and you can wash your nose after this procedure.
Sinusitis, and as a result, loss of smell is the result of reduced immunity. Therefore, the struggle is to lead on this front as well. Start taking vitamins and go on a proper diet. What should be the diet for diseases of the nose:
- Cook yourself a sea fish. Eat it as often as possible.
- Avoid fatty, starchy, and sweet foods.
- Eat more vegetables, lean meat, greens.
Drink clean water
When the sense of smell has disappeared, what to do, if none of the above helps, and besides, there is a strong headache, and even toothache, the temperature does not decrease, in the area of the sinuses you feel pain, do you feel bad? In this case, you urgently need to see a doctor.Most likely, you will be assigned fluoroscopy to see what's wrong. If doctors find pus in your sinuses, you will be asked to perform a procedure to remove it. Today, along with the piercing of the nasal sinuses, pus suction is performed using a special apparatus. Then you will probably be prescribed antibiotic therapy to kill the settled infection in your body.
After such treatment, your sense of smell and taste should gradually return to you. And if you do not delay with treatment, then antritis will not give more serious complications, causing a long-lasting or persistent loss of smell.
Thus, it becomes clear that you should not delay the treatment of viral infections and colds, as they can cause complications that are difficult enough to be treated. Be healthy.