How to search in Yandex?
Watch the video
A search system is a software and hardware complex that performs the function of selecting resources and sites for specific user requests. Most often, people call a search engine the site where the interface of this complex is located, that is, the page containing the search string intended for entering a query.
Basically, search engines work by selecting content by keywords, which means that in order to make it easier to find the information you need, it is important to make a request correctly.
How to search in the Yandex system
What is Yandex looking for?
The uninitiated user wonders what can be found using popular search engines like Yandex? The answer to this question can be found in our article What are looking for in Yandex.
To create the most effective query, you need to know in general terms on what principle the search takes place:
- Register accounting. Search robots are set up so that they search for words regardless of the writing method. If you write a word with a capital letter, those resources where the specified word is written with a small letter will be presented as results.For example, you entered the query: "Crocodiles", Yandex will find sites where there is the spelling "Crocodiles" and "Crocodiles".
- Accounting for the morphology of the word. The search is carried out taking into account the morphology of the word (changes in its number, case, gender, etc.). The system will display all the results in which the possible forms of the query words are found. In this case, derived words are not included in the search. If the request is recorded as “Nile Crocodiles”, “crocodiles”, “crocodile”, “Nile” will be found, but the word “Nile” will not be searched by the robot. Therefore, if you are looking for not just words, but their specific context, you need to take into account the morphology.
- Search the entire document. By default, the search engine searches for the words specified in the request across the entire document, resource, and sometimes words can be found at a considerable distance from each other.
- Restriction of search region. The search system is carried out on the entire virtual space, even if you enter "Apartments in Kuala Lumpur", you will be presented with apartments in Moscow and encyclopedic descriptions of the capital of Malaysia.
Special techniques for entering a request
To make the system more precisely understand what you want to see in the results, a special query input language has been created, which search engines perfectly understand:
- If you want to find the exact phrase or form of a word, enclose it in quotation marks, for example: "The storm darkens the sky with a storm." In this case, the system will mark all the options where these words are found in a different form, as well as where the phrase is broken up in other words.
- If you have forgotten a part of the words from the quotation, put the entire phrase in quotation marks, and instead of the forgotten word put an asterisk: "Who owns the information, he owns *" The search robot will find the entire phrase, along with the forgotten part.
- If you need to find any of the words specified in the query, enter them in a vertical line: “Meat Dishes | birds".
- If you need to find a few words in the same sentence, use the “&” sign: “Pineapples & pickle”. You will receive a list of all sites where the proposed words are found in one sentence.
- If it is necessary to find a certain word in the document, select it, placing before it a plus: “Monument to Pushkin + Europe”, the system will present documents where the word “Europe” will necessarily be found. This is very important if it is necessary to include in the search prepositions, conjunctions, particles that relate to stop words, since they carry a small semantic meaning and are found too often. For example, are you looking forGorky's play "At the bottom", enter in the search bar "+ at the bottom."
- You can exclude words from the search by typing a minus sign in front of an unnecessary word: “Bremen musicians - cartoon”. This will help if you want to find a fairy tale about the musicians of Bremen in textual form.
- Looking for a specific document type? The mime: operator will help you, like this: “mime tax return form: pdf”. Only resources with .pdf files will be found.
- If you are looking for a request in a specific language, the operator “lang:” will help you, after which you need to specify the language: Russian-ru, English-en, Belarusian-be, Kazakh-kz. Example: "dating lang: en".
- To search for sites in a specific region, select "Advanced Search", and in it enter the desired region.
Having mastered the query language, you will find the information you need in a shorter period of time.
Yandex search is one of the most popular services in the Russian and post-Soviet space, in addition, Yandex offers a wide range of services from creating a virtual mailbox to registering an e-wallet.