How to Replace Eggs in Your Cooking
If you're avoiding eggs, you can still prepare many dishes without sacrificing too much in the way of taste or texture. Bananas and applesauce can be used to add moisture and thickness to recipes. Use baking powder, ground flax seeds, or agar to replace eggs in baked goods. When eggs are the main ingredient, substitute with tofu.
Replacing Eggs in Baking
Replace 1 egg with 1/4 cup (30 g) of banana puree to add moisture.Banana is one of the most popular choices for egg replacements in sweet recipes like muffins, breads, and cake. Use 1/2 banana to yield 1/4 cup (30 g) of puree.
- The banana will alter the taste of your baked goods, so make sure you like banana-flavored muffins, breads, etc. before you add it to your recipe. Otherwise, look for something with a milder taste.
Use applesauce to add moisture, density, and sweetness.Applesauce works great with recipes like brownies and chocolate cake, because the chocolate hides the flavor of the applesauce. Use 1/3 cup (43 g) of puree to replace 1 egg.
- Applesauce and other fruit purees will add heaviness and density, so if you want something lighter, use 1/4 cup (30 g) of puree with 1 Tsp baking powder for a lighter, fluffier product.
Try 1/3 cup (43 g) of pumpkin to replace 1 egg in muffins and breads.Pumpkin can also leave a distinct flavor in baked goods, so it's best to incorporate it in a recipe that works well with pumpkin. Bread, muffins, and spice cakes will all benefit from the moisture, binding properties, and taste of pumpkin.
- Make sure the pumpkin is pureed so that it is smooth and won't make lumps in your baked goods.
Make use of baking soda and vinegar to help your recipe rise.Substitute 1 egg with 1 Tbsp. vinegar plus 1 Tsp. baking soda, whisked together. Baking soda will give your baked goods a warm, golden brown color.
- Baking soda will react with acids in your recipe (like vinegar, buttermilk, cream of tartar) and release carbon dioxide, causing your baked goods to rise.
Try baking powder and vegetable oil to help baked goods rise.Substitute 1 egg with 2 Tbsp. water plus 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil plus 1 Tsp. baking powder. Whisk them together thoroughly. Using baking powder will result in a lighter, fluffier product.
Substitute egg whites with agar powder.Mix 1 Tbsp agar powder in 1 Tbsp water. Whip the mixture, then let it chill in the fridge. Whip it again and it will be ready to use. This is equivalent to 1 egg white, so increase as necessary for the recipe.
- Agar powder is also known as agar-agar, Kanten, Japanese isinglass, or Ceylon moss.
- Agar is vegan and can also be used to replace gelatin.
Replace 3 eggs in boxed cake mixes with 1 can of soda.This isn't exactly the healthiest egg alternative, but it will leaven your cake and can add an interesting flavor! A can of soda (12 ounces) is equivalent to adding 3 eggs to your recipe. When using soda, omit the oil in the recipe to avoid runniness.
- You can choose the type of soda based on its flavor and how well it combines with your cake. For example, you could combine French vanilla cake mix with orange soda to create a creamsicle cake. Ginger ale would pair well with spice cake mix. Chocolate cake mix and root beer would result in a chocolate root beer float cake.
Use finely ground flax and chia seeds to add a nutty flavor.Grind the seeds as finely as possible in a coffee or spice grinder. Mix 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed or 1 Tbsp. ground chia seed with 3 Tbsp. of water to replace 1 egg. Allow the mixture to sit for 30 minutes, until it thickens and has a jelly-like consistency.
- Flax seeds have a slightly nutty flavor, so use it in recipes that would benefit from this flavor.
- Chia seeds will deepen the color of your baked goods.
- If the eggs are meant to bind and leaven, add an additional 1/4 Tsp. of baking powder.
Use gelatin to bind sweet recipes like cookies and muffins.Gelatin will not alter the flavor in things like cakes and cookies. 1 Tbsp. gelatin plus 3 tablespoons warm water will replace 1 egg.
- Be aware that gelatin is not vegan. If you're looking for something vegan that will give you similar results, try agar powder.
Replacing Eggs in Main Dishes
Use store-bought egg replacer products for recipes with lots of eggs.Look for egg replacers, not egg substitutes, since egg substitutes can sometimes still contain egg. Use egg replacer products in dishes that are mostly eggs, like scrambles.
- Ener-G Egg Replacer is a popular vegan product you can try out. Check for it at your local health food store.
- Follow the directions on the box for each product. Generally, you mix the egg replacer with water and add it to your recipe.
- Avoid products like Egg Beaters and Better’n Eggs. These are egg substitutes, and they still contain egg!
Use tofu to replace eggs when they make up the majority of the dish.Tofu makes a great egg substitute in breakfast scrambles, quiches and custards. Puree the tofu to make sure there are no lumps or chunks in your dish. Use 1/4 cup tofu per egg.
- Use silken or soft tofu -- firm tofu won't blend very well.
- Make sure the tofu is plain and neither baked nor seasoned.
- Tofu will not fluff like eggs, but the texture is otherwise very similar to eggs.
Use mashed potatoes as a binder.Starchy mashed potatoes work especially well in savory dishes like meatloaf, a veggie loaf or burgers. Add 1/4 cup (30 g) of mashed potatoes to replace 1 egg.
- You can use mashed potatoes made from scratch, but dehydrated potatoes and instant mashed potato products work, too.
Use soft tofu as an emulsifier in vegan condiments.Tofu contains lecithin, which acts as an emulsifier, and will thicken and stabilize vegan recipes for mayonnaise, ranch dressing, and hollandaise sauce. Make sure you use a soft, unflavored tofu, not firm, seasoned, or baked.
- 1/4 cup puréed tofu replaces 1 egg.
Use turmeric to color your egg-free dish.If you are making vegan scrambled eggs and still want that golden egg color, turmeric will do the job. It can also add a peppery, tart flavor to your dish.
- Use just a pinch of turmeric in your recipe to turn your tofu or other egg substitute yellow.
- Make sure you stir well to incorporate the turmeric into the dish.
QuestionCan I make box blueberry muffins with no eggs?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, use apple sauce or bananas in place of the egg.Thanks!
QuestionWhat can I use instead of eggs to make batter for frying?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWater and salt. Put both in a bowl together and just dip your foods into the salt water, then flour, then back into salt water, and back into flour. Then fry.Thanks!
QuestionWhich egg substitute can I use for pancakes?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can try using unsweetened apple sauce, as it's thick and it should not add any unwanted flavors.Thanks!
QuestionWhat substitutes for eggs can be used in bread recipes?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerReplacing eggs used in bread can be difficult and it is often better to find a different recipe. If the eggs are used for glazing, milk or oil can be substituted. Ground flax seed might work in some cases. Egg replacement products available commercially might work but would need to be trialed. Any bread recipe requiring 3 or more eggs will not work without the eggs, in which case you do need to find an alternative recipe or risk a poor outcome when using a substitute.Thanks!
QuestionWhat can I use in place of an egg in brownies?wikiHow ContributorCommunity Answer1/3 cup applesauce per egg.Thanks!
QuestionWhat would be the best way to substitute for three eggs in a recipe and still get a light fluffy textured cake?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can use one whole egg, and then get another egg, crack it, mix the yolk and egg whites, then split it in half.Thanks!
QuestionWhat should I use in crepes?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAdd starch. Corn and potato starches are the best, but tapioca works as well.Thanks!
QuestionCan I use egg whites to make a cholesterol-free recipe of my favorite foods?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, you can use egg whites as substitutes in your favorite recipes.Thanks!
QuestionWhat can I use instead of egg white in icing for decorating cookies?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSome icing recipes use corn syrup instead of egg white, if you want an icing that dries shiny and hard.Thanks!
QuestionCan I make box cornbread without egg and milk?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerReplace the egg with xanthum gum and replace the milk with water and a small amount of oil to equal the original liquid measurement. For each egg to be replaced, whip together 1/4 teaspoon of xanthum gum and 1/4 cup of water.Thanks!
What's the best substitute for egg albumin in soft fruit candies?
What can I use for my brownies recipes, I need 2 large eggs?
Can I replace eggs with sprite for pancakes?
What can I use instead of eggs for basting?
How can I prevent my short bread crust from becoming powdery and falling apart?
The best way to replace eggs in your cooking is to understand what purpose the eggs serve. For eggs that provide color and taste, throw tofu or egg replacer into your dish. For eggs that bind or provide moisture, puree a banana or use applesauce for a milder taste. If the eggs are used for leavening, toss in some baking soda or baking powder instead.
- The best thing to do is to try out different types of egg replacements on your favorite recipes until you find the one that suits you best for each recipe. There are no hard and fast rules.
- Do not use gelatin as a substitute for eggs if you are vegan.
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
Categories: | |
In other languages:
Français: , Italiano: , Español: , Deutsch: , Português: , Русский: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands: , 中文: , العربية:
wikiHow has a test kitchen where we test recipes ourselves. We made this one and it was delicious.
Oct 16, 2019
Sep 15, 2019
Oct 5, 2019
Nov 26, 2019
Mar 1, 2019
Sep 5, 2019
Oct 18, 2019
Oct 5, 2019
Dec 29, 2019
Dec 27, 2019
Video: 19 CRAZY RECIPES TO SAVE YOU TIME
Ciate Caviar Manicure SpringSummer 2013 Sets
3 Ways to Feed Finches
Importance of Upper and Lower Body Workout
4 Ways a Fashion Stylist Would Elevate Your Jumper Dress
The Lowdown On Hand-Me-Downs
How to Contact Jeremy Clarkson
How to Roleplay As a Neko Atsume Character in Animal Jam
How to Reduce Sodium in Your Diet
Links Between HIV and Hepatitis C Infection
ICYMI: Beyoncé Just Announced Her World Tour at the SuperBowl
London Collections: Men SS15 Provisional Schedule