How to reduce the weight of the photo?
The weight of a photo is called its size in megabytes. Pictures with a large weight often have good quality and allow you to see all the details of the image, but they take up a lot of space. In order to easily upload photos to the Internet or send by e-mail, you need to reduce the weight of the photo. There are several ways to do this.
Reducing the weight of a photo in Paint
Paint is one of the easiest graphic editors to date. It can be found among the standard Windows applications through the "Start" button. In the latest versions of this program, resizing an image is very easy.
- Open the desired photo through Paint.
- From the “Image” field in the “Home” menu, select the “Resize and Tilt” function.
- We change one of the parameters (“Horizontal” or “Vertical”) in the upper part of the menu, and the second one will change proportionally automatically. It is more convenient to do this as a percentage.
- Click "OK" and save the reduced photo.
Gimp photo weight reduction
Gimp is another program that can be used to edit an image.
- Open the desired photo through Gimp.
- In the "Image" tab, select the "Image Size" function. We change the parameters so that the length and width are multiples of eight. This will keep the quality.
- To preserve the proportions of the photo - leave the icon of the chain closed.
- Save the result.
Reducing the weight of photos in Photoshop
Photoshop is considered to be a more sophisticated graphic editor used by professionals. But it is also suitable for reducing the weight of a photo.
- Open the desired photo through Photoshop.
- Open the Image tab ", select the" Image Size "function.
- We see a dialog box in which you can change the image parameters in various quantities. First of all, we mark the item “Save proportions” so that when one indicator changes, the second one changes automatically. Now we change one of the parameters in percent or pixels.
- To save the image without losing quality, in the "File" tab, select "Save for Web and devices ..." and select the JPEG format. In confirmation, click "Save".
In all the graphical editors listed above, the photo size can be changed without changing the parameters,but simply by saving the image in a different, more “light” format. For example, BMP and TIFF photos can be saved as a JPEG file. Detailed instructions on changing the format can be found in our article: How to change the format of a photo.
True, it is worth noting that the most voluminous RAW images can be saved to JPEG only using Photoshop.
Weight Reduction Online Photos
If you do not have access to any image editor on your computer, you can reduce the weight of the photo online. To do this, use one of the online services, for example: or.