How to put yourself a drip?
In life sometimes there are situations when there is no opportunity to go to the hospital for procedures or to call the medical staff to your home, and you have to put the IV on your own at home.
In order to put yourself a drip you need to prepare the following tools and means:
- bottle with solution;
- a tripod (you can use a hook and velcro hook instead);
- cotton wool;
- intravenous infusion system;
- sterile gloves;
- medical harness.
Collection and installation of dropper
It is most convenient to place the dropper at home on the crook of the elbow or on the front side of the palm, where the veins are most visible.
- Prepare a tripod. If not, take the hook with velcro and fasten it in a suitable place.
- Wear gloves and open the solution bottle. Rub the rubber cap with alcohol.
- Open the packaging of the syringe and collect it. Take the medicine and put it in a container with a solution.
- Take the system out of the packaging and move the dial to the opposite position, which will pinch the tube lumen.
- Locate the end of the needle tube. Insert it into the solution cap that will drip.
- Remove the second needle from the kit and stick it near the first one.
- Make 2-3 strong pressing on the expansion system in the form of a cylinder. The system should be about half full. This extension serves to control the rate of injection of the solution.
- Place the free end of the dropper back into the package or into any other container. Move the wheel to the top position and watch how the solution flows through the tubes. As soon as the solution begins to pour into the substituted container, move the wheel to the non-operating position. Check for air bubbles from the end of the system to expansion. If there is, slightly unscrew the wheel up and wait for the bubbles with the solution to come out.
- Insert the free part of the tube into the needle sticking out of the solution cap. Thus, the system is ready for use.
- Place the solution bottle on the tripod.If not, wrap a bottle of scotch and hook on the hook next to the place where you will install a dropper.
- Pull the arm harness. Install the catheter into the vein and connect the system to the catheter.
- After that, unscrew the wheel of the regulator and select the desired infusion rate of the solution.
- Relax the harness.
- After the required amount of solution gets into your body, turn the regulator wheel, disconnect the system and remove the catheter.
- Treat the injection site with alcohol and seal with adhesive tape.
You can put the dropper at home, but you should follow the following precautions:
- Wear gloves. If any element of the system accidentally fell to the floor, be sure to treat it with alcohol.
- Carefully install the catheter.
- During the infusion of fluid, try not to nap, as awkward movement can disrupt the system.
- After you finish infusing the solution, do not abruptly get up. It is advisable to lie down for 30-40 minutes.
If you decide to put a dropper at home, you should follow the instructions and precautions.But it is better, if possible, to seek help from qualified medical personnel.