How to organize a trip with a pet?
If you have a pet, and at the same time you love to travel, then you should not limit yourself. But before you go on a trip, prepare in advance for it. And do not forget about the proper training of your pet.
Should I take a pet on a trip?
Before you start to collect suitcases, weigh all the pros and cons, as well as assess the risks.
- Firstly, you should not go on a trip in the event that the pet is too small. Kittens and puppies under three months are prohibited to transport in public transport.
- Secondly, it is not worth risking if the animal bears a young, since the journey is a rather large load for the organism.
- Thirdly, if your pet has recently suffered some serious illness, it is also worthwhile to wait.
- Fourthly, if you plan to fly on an airplane, then find out all the characteristics of the breed of the pet. So, some cats and dogs with flattened faces have a special structure of the upper respiratory tract and react badly to pressure and temperature drops.And sudden drops can lead to deterioration or even death.
- And finally, fifthly, find out in advance whether it is possible to bring animals of one breed or another to the country where you are going. For example, in some states there is a ban on the import of fighting dog breeds, such as the Rottweiler, Pit Bull Terrier, Tosa Inu, and others.
If you are going to go abroad, then it is worthwhile to take care of the preparation in advance, as your pet, like you, will need certain documents. Here are the most basic ones:
- Veterinary passport. It will be needed even if your pet does not leave the house and does not communicate with other animals. The passport should contain data on all previous diseases, as well as on vaccinations. The rabies vaccine is especially important, but it is better to vaccinate with imported vaccine, as some customs and airline employees are suspicious of the Russian vaccine. In this case, vaccination should be made no later than a month before the trip, but not earlier than a year before it.
- Exporting an animal abroad will not be possible if it does not have an electronic chip.Today, such a device is quickly and painlessly implanted under the skin in almost any veterinary clinic.
Additional documents may be required to enter some other countries, so take care of this in advance by contacting the state embassy.
We decide on transport
How to travel with a pet, what kind of transport? There are several options:
- Personal car. This option is more convenient and comfortable for the pet, but it will have to be transported in a specially equipped cage, as the animal may suddenly jump onto the steering wheel and under the driver’s feet, leading to an accident.
- Aircraft. To make the trip legal and safe, check with the airline staff all the rules for transporting animals beforehand. So, if the pet has a small size, then most likely you will be allowed to take it with you to the passenger compartment. But during the flight, the pet must be in a container or in a cage, it cannot be released. And larger animals during the flight should be in the luggage compartment in a special hard carrying.
- A train. Probably, you will be offered a specific car or certain places so that the pet does not interfere with the other passengers.But in any case it is better to transport a cat in a container, and a dog - in a muzzle and on a leash.
- The bus is the least convenient option, since no one will give you a separate place for the pet, and the rest of the passengers may be outraged and complain. In addition, the pet itself is probably scared.
Choose a hotel
Not all hotels are allowed to live with animals, so decide in advance on a particular place and find out if you can stay in it with a pet. In some hotels, there is no need to pay for a pet.
There are also hotels in which all conditions are created for our smaller brothers: a separate place for sleeping, entertainment and a special menu. But in any case, you will not be allowed to leave your pet in the room absolutely alone, as it can spoil the property or interfere with the rest of the guests. In such situations, you face eviction or payment of a fine.
Before you go on a trip, be sure to study the laws of the country concerning hanging out and relaxing with pets and their behavior. So, dogs can be taken not on all beaches.
In some states, the dog should appear in public places only in a muzzle.And there are countries in which the owners of animals, “defending the need” in unsuitable places, are obliged to pay fines, and sometimes quite large ones.
Remember that a pet can overheat in the sun or get cold in cold water. So take a walk on the beach in the morning or in the evening. After bathing, carefully wipe your pet with a towel and let it dust off.
What to take on the road?
What to take on a trip with a pet? The most necessary things:
- Feed. Be sure to take it, since getting the right food in another country can be very problematic. Take and clean water. It is also advisable to grab a bowl, as the pet may refuse to eat from an unfamiliar container.
- It is worth taking a toilet for a cat, as it may not be easy to accustom her to a new one.
- To avoid trouble, take napkins on the road (wet and dry paper).
- If you are traveling with a cat or a small dog, be sure to take the carrier or container.
- If you go on a trip with a dog, then by all means take a leash and a muzzle.
- Be sure to grab your pet's favorite toys so that in a new place he feels more comfortable and does not miss.
- You can take a bed (a pillow, a bed, a basket), because in other places a pet may refuse to sleep.
- Grab the clothes if the animal wears it.
- If the animal has never been on the street, then the trip can become a real stress for him. So prepare your pet in advance, start walking with it regularly and visit public places.
- In another country, do not feed the pet with local food, this can be extremely dangerous.
- To prepare your pet for the trip and to help him relive such stress, in a couple of weeks start giving him the sedatives recommended by the vet.
- If the pet is not accustomed to a muzzle, leash or carrying, start the training in advance.
Have a nice and safe journey for you and your pet!