How to make a laser?
Watch the video
Who among the boys at school did not want to have their own laser, which can burn anything? We will tell you how to make a laser do-it-yourself from a CD / DVD drive. A laser made from a CD drive is capable of a lot. It can burn wood and plastic, as well as shine for a few hundred meters.
How to make a home laser
- Take any broken DVD-RW or CD-RW drive, if you have one.
- Before disassembling the drive, open its tray and unscrew the 4 screws on the back side.
- Next, you need to turn the drive, remove the aluminum cover and unscrew the two remaining screws.
- After that, disconnect the cables connecting the drive with the chassis, then unscrew the screw and three more that hold the board.
- Then we carefully remove the board - there are optical lenses and diodes on it. Break off the protection of optics and DVD and CD diodes.
- Now you need to pull the diode with pliers along with cooling. To protect against static electricity, we tie the legs of the diode with wire and, prying the diode with a knife, carefully remove it.Do not forget to wind the diode with wire, as static electricity can accumulate in it in sufficient quantities.
So, the first half, how to make a laser from a drive, we finished. Now you need to make a driver.
Making a driver for a laser
To begin, let us tell you what a laser driver is, since many probably don’t know about it.
A driver is a small circuit that specifies a power supply for a diode. The diode itself is an element rather fragile, and the slightest deviation from the norm during feeding can lead to its breakage. Therefore, we need a driver. There are two options for making a driver. We describe both.
- You can use a phone battery or replace it with three finger batteries (but not batteries). Further, by experience, you need to pick up a resistor. For the selection of a resistor, it is good to use an ammeter, which is connected to the break of the positive battery wire. The current required is selected with a change in resistance. Between the battery and the resistor you need to place the on / off button of the laser. You will also need 2 capacitors: 100 nF and 2200 microfarads, while the voltage of the capacitor is not so important.Well, the last in the circuit will be the laser diode itself, while not forgetting about the protection against static voltage. However, this version of the driver has one significant disadvantage. The fact is that it only limits the current, but does not stabilize it. This means that when the batteries are discharged and, accordingly, the voltage drops, the laser will shine dimmer.
- This option is simpler and more reliable, since the standard chip LM317 is taken as the basis for the driver. However, in itself it is quite complex and, which many do not like, is suitable mainly for stationary laser. In the driver, such a scheme will be simultaneously a current stabilizer.
A few words about optics
The fact is that if optics are not included in the laser, then it will simply shine like the most ordinary light bulb, without burning objects, and will not be able to shine with a high beam. Therefore, the lens from the drive is perfect for optics. We set the lens at a distance of focus, and to adjust the focus, we use, for example, a laser pointer and, turning the screw, adjust the desired distance. The beam diameter is approximately 1 mm.
We hope, now you understand how to make a laser.If any questions remain unclear, on the Internet today you can find a lot of videos on how to make a laser and other equipment.