How to cook wood grouse in the oven and in the slow cooker
The wood-grouse is a rare bird that is hard to find even for an experienced hunter. However, sometimes she manages to shoot. You need to cook carefully and carefully. Otherwise, improper cooking will cause spoiled prey. What to say about the mood?
The bird is relatively exotic. It is not surprising that many experienced chefs do not know how to cook it in the oven and in the slow cooker. At the same time, I want the dish to be edible and bring a lot of pleasure.
Grouse meat is dark, tasty and juicy, but slightly harsh. Taste depends on the season and diet. In particular, in autumn the bird feeds on lingonberries, therefore lingonberry flavor is added. After the onset of winter, the game switches to pine needles, so at the beginning of the spring season a coniferous flavor is felt.
Autumn birds are not soaked, it will have a bad effect on cranberry saturation. Spring is subjected to water procedures for at least two days. In this case, it is recommended to mix vinegar with cranberry juice.
Borovye birds practically have no fat deposits, so the meat is rather dry. The shortage of shredding with small slices of fat is eliminated. Preparation can take more than three hours.
Wood grouse stuffed with liver
The wood-grouse is a rare bird in the supermarket that cannot be bought. You can save time, visit a restaurant and order it there, having laid out a huge pile of money for a delicacy. However, it is much more interesting to cook a culinary masterpiece at home.
I will share two recipes, thanks to which you will not only surprise, but also delight your near and dear ones. If you dare to put these dishes on the festive table, the guests will be crazy, because no one will offer them something like that.
- Wash the treated carcass several times, lightly salt it. The shanks and the tips of the wings should be removed.
- Pork liver mince, mix with bread, soaked in milk, pepper, eggs, butter and salt.
- The resulting mixture to fill the carcass, put on a baking sheet, send to the oven for about 4 hours at 180 degrees. During cooking, water the juice, which is formed on the bottom of the baking tray. Watch the dish, because the time indicated is approximate.
Recipe with champignons and cheese
The second recipe is as simple as the first, but the dish is more refined and fragrant.
- Wood grouse - 1 bird.
- Butter - 200 g
- Champignons - 500 g.
- Grated cheese - 100 g
- Sour cream - 1 cup.
- Cognac - tablespoon.
- Pepper and salt.
- Meat the butter thoroughly with butter and bake in the oven for 3-4 hours at 180 degrees.
- Peel the mushrooms and boil in water with salt. Rinse with clean water, chop.
- Ready-made bird to get out of the oven, put on a wide dish, cut into pieces.
- In the juice, which remained in the form after baking, put the mushrooms along with sour cream and cognac, sprinkle cheese on top. Hold the form with the contents in the oven for about five minutes.
- At the end add oil, salt, pepper. Mix everything and pour the resulting mixture into the dish.
We bake in the oven
Every hunter dreams of such valuable prey as wood grouse. They hunt for him in the spring, but they need a permit.Most often hunters come across females whose weight reaches 3 kilograms. Males - six-kilogram birds, come across less often.
- Wood grouse - 1 bird.
- Pork fat - 300 g
- Apple - 2 pcs.
- Potatoes - 2 pcs.
- Bow - 1 head.
- Mayonnaise - 150 g
- Sugar, mustard, breadcrumbs, seasoning for meat.
- To pickle and gut the bird. Remove the insides, head, paws, wings.
- Place the carcass in saline for ten hours. Soak in a cool place. Wash thoroughly when finished.
- Stuffed with apples, potatoes and onions. All cut into small pieces, add sugar, salt and pepper, mix.
- Lay out a dense foil on a flat surface, and lay out the stuffed carcass on top. In a small container mix the mustard and mayonnaise and smear the resulting mixture.
- In a separate bowl in equal proportions mix the breadcrumbs and spices for meat. Sprinkle the bird thoroughly with this mass.
- Put crushed pork fat around the baking sheet. Thanks to it the dish will turn out soft and juicy. It remains to wrap in foil and send in the oven.
- Bake for about 5 hours at a temperature of 170-190 degrees.The time and temperature depends on the size of the bird and the oven. Turn the carcass several times per hour to evenly fry. You can periodically pour a little water into the pan.
At the end of baking, remove the dish from the oven, place it on a tray and decorate with vegetables and herbs. As a result, the appearance will become more appetizing.
How to cook a wood grouse in a multivark
If properly cooked capercaillie, it turns juicy and tender. I suggest to talk about cooking game in a slow cooker.
- Capercaillie - 1 bird
- Bow - 3 heads
- Cowberry - 3 cups
- Flour - 2 spoons
- Sunflower oil - 100 g
- Salo, spices, salt.
- Game cut into six pieces, cut off the neck, wings and legs. Sprinkle each piece with lard, sprinkle with salt and spices, roll in oil and fry on both sides in a frying pan.
- Boil broth from the neck, wings and legs. At the end of cooking add the onions and bring to readiness.
- Put the fried meat in a multicooker container and pour all the broth (without offal).
- Close the lid of the kitchen appliance, activate the extinguishing mode and cook for 60 minutes.
- A quarter of an hour before the end of the program, pour the lingonberries along with the flour diluted in water, mix everything thoroughly.
Serve the treat to the table with potatoes, buckwheat, rice or fresh vegetables.
Delicious and easy recipe
The wood-grouse is a large-sized bird that inhabits forests. Like other game, meat is thick and dry. This means that it requires a special approach.
- Wood grouse - 1 bird.
- Olive oil - 150 ml.
- Carrot - 2 pcs.
- Cream 20% - 1.5 liters.
- Spice mix, salt.
- Process the game Wings, neck and feet cut off. Cut the carcass into medium pieces and soak in cold water for 2-4 hours. Change the water periodically.
- Meat properly dry, sprinkle with spices and salt. I use ready-made homemade mix. If you don't have one, ginger, paprika, garlic, pepper, basil, nutmeg will do.
- It is not worth hammering the scent of wild game with spices. On one carcass take about three teaspoons of different spices. It's enough.
- Put the slices of meat with spices in a large bowl, pour in some red wine and mix. Marinate for 2-3 hours.
- In a container for baking, put carrot diced, add 50 milliliters of cream and olive oil. If the cream is thick, dilute with a small amount of water.
- It's time to send the billet to the oven.During preparation, the wood grouse must languish in cream for three hours at a temperature of 180 degrees. Therefore, from time to time, top up the cream.
Garnish baked game recommended mashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts, fresh vegetables or soft rye bread.
If you like exotic tastes, dip pieces of meat in a lingonberry sauce. For its preparation, whisk cranberries together with sugar and cook the resulting mass in a saucepan for several minutes.
The benefits of capercaillie
In conclusion, let's talk about the useful properties of capercaillie. First of all, it helps to improve brain function and accelerate protein synthesis. It contains many vitamins that contribute to the normalization of the nervous system.
Has a beneficial effect on the work of the digestive system. True, because of the high calorie content, nutritionists do not recommend eating game frequently.
Grouse prepare dishes that are worthy candidates for the New Year menu. Game is perfectly combined with cream, vegetables, fruits, berries. For marinating professional culinary experts recommend using not only vinegar, but also red wine, spices, various herbs.
If good luck smiles and this game is available, be sure to make some dish. So you will appreciate the excellent taste of the wood-grouse and get a valuable culinary experience.