How to choose a thermos?
Thermos - definitely an indispensable thing in any campaign or trip. It will warm you in the cold and bring coolness on a hot day. In the article you will learn which thermos is better to choose, so that it satisfies all your needs and served as long as possible.
Types of thermos
Before buying is to start to decide for what purpose you need it. There are 4 main types that are distinguished by their functionality.
- Thermos for storing liquids. It is characterized by a rather narrow throat and a special valve that will prevent spilling. In all similar thermoses for greater convenience, there is a cup-cap.
- Food thermos. Its intended purpose is to store dry or liquid food. The essential difference of such a thermos is a very wide neck, which allows you to eat food without pouring it into the plate.
- Thermos - kettle. Its direct purpose is to store boiled water, tea or coffee. Such thermoses are often used when there is no possibility to boil water. They can pour a hot drink, but should only be used stationary in a vertical position, as they are not tight.
- Thermomug.A great option for those who like to drink coffee in the car or at the desk, when there is no opportunity to constantly get up and boil water. Thermocup volume is about 500 ml, which allows you to drink your favorite hot drink almost throughout the day.
- Thinking about what thermos to choose, you should pay attention to his flask. It can be both glass and metal. If you plan to use a thermos at home, then stop your choice on glass, as it is more hygienic and better suited for storing products than metal. It is also easy to clean glass from dirt and food residue. But this option is not suitable for hiking and traveling because of the fragility. When falling, a glass bulb can easily crack and lose all its beneficial properties.
- Metal flasks are usually made of stainless steel. It keeps heat worse than glass, but it is more durable. It is more difficult to wash such a flask, as it is strongly adhered to the remnants of food and the raid from drinks.
- Recently, began to manufacture plastic flasks with flasks. Its only advantage is its low weight.It is easy to take such a thermos with you on a camping trip and not afraid to drop. But plastic has properties to absorb odors and dyes. Thus, pouring coffee into a thermos once, all other drinks in it will have a taste of coffee. Also, with strong heating, the artificial material begins to emit harmful substances.
Before you decide on the purchase of a thermos, you should consider how much you need. You should not take the biggest, it may not be practical to use. The most universal volume - up to 1 liter.
The capacity of thermoses varies from 0.25 to 40 liters. The greater the volume, the longer it will be kept warm. But not always a large amount is convenient to use.
For example, a thermomug with a volume of up to 1 liter is perfect for work. For camping or travel will be convenient volume of 1 or 2 liters. Such a thermos is good to take with you in a bag or backpack. If you want to make a purchase for the house, give preference to large volumes, for example from 10 to 40 liters.
Before you choose a good thermos, you have to test it. Consider that you do not make a purchase for one day, so you should use our tips:
- Shake the thermos.If you hear extraneous sounds, rattling or knocking, then the flask is not firmly attached and can quickly become unusable.
- Smell the thermos inside. An unpleasant smell is the first sign of a poor-quality product for which low-quality materials are used in production. Also, when stored in it, the products will absorb all unpleasant odors and harmful substances.
- Check how tightly the cork tightens. With a poor fit, the thermos will not be able to keep warm for a long time.
- Do a little test at home. Fill the thermos with boiling water, cover the stopper and wait 15 minutes. If after this time the thermos heats up, then it quickly releases, and does not retain heat. If there is such a shortage, try to return the product to the store.
- Before you choose a thermos, read on the forums reviews from different manufacturers. Give your preference to the more famous, such as Tatonka Primus, Expedition, Stanley, Berghoff. These manufacturers control the quality of products in production, so you can be confident in their products. Do not save on the purchase. Cheap Chinese fake will quickly fail, and the branded thing will serve you for many years.
- For any thermos need regular care.With daily use you will need to get used to regular cleaning. The thermos should be washed with warm water, then wiped from the outside with a dry soft cloth. For a while the thermos should be left open so that it dries well inside.
Cork is an important element of a thermos. It determines the tightness of the device, and therefore the ability to maintain the required temperature inside the flask. There are two main types of flasks: with or without a valve.
- Monolithic cork without valve, most often used for food thermos. This plug is completely unscrewed when used. This allows cold air to penetrate inside, which increases heat loss.
- A cork with a valve or a button is more modern and is perfect for thermoses designed for liquids. In such a cork, when you press a button, a small valve opens, through which you can pour a drink. There is no need to open the entire cork and lose precious heat. The valve also has several disadvantages:
- it can easily become clogged with tea leaves, so it is recommended to use purified liquid
- after use, check the tightness of the valve closure, otherwise the thermos will begin to leak
- if you plan to pour ice drinks, note that the valve may freeze
Thermos - an indispensable tool in many situations. It is useful to you both at home and at work in any season. Thanks to our advice, you now know how to choose the right thermos.