How to build a histogram?
If, for example, you conducted a sociological survey, then you will need to not only analyze it, but also present its result visually. And you can do this with the help of a histogram. How to build a histogram, what is needed for this? Let's take it in order.
It should be noted that the histogram is one of the most popular ways by which you can provide information about the distribution of a particular trait. In order to construct a histogram of frequencies (a step figure, which consists of rectangles), we will need:
- computer or laptop;
- Office programs.
Build a bar chart manually
Initially, you need to understand the following: a sign in this case will be what you are studying (people's attitude to something, some phenomena, the characteristic features of any processes). A distribution of the trait will be a set of answers and points received from all participants in your research. The easiest way is to build a distribution histogram manually.We need to draw a two-dimensional coordinate system in which the frequency of occurrence of answers and points will be located along the Y axis, and the points and answers themselves along the X axis. Now we need to note the results we obtained, so that we have vertical columns corresponding to the marked features. And their height will be determined by the frequency of the occurring trait.
The same histogram can be constructed according to a similar scheme, but already on a computer. For example, in the Microsoft Word program, in the toolbar, select the �Insert� tab, and in its menu we find �Illustrations�. Now in the "Illustrations", we need to note the "Chart", and then, in the newly-minted window, indicate - "Histogram". Select the desired view for the chart and click "OK". A window with a table appeared in front of you and you need to enter the available results into it. And in parallel you will mark the appearance of a pattern with histograms. This image will be modified as new data becomes available that you will enter.
Considering that you can carry out research on experimental and control samples, or in general, on one group, but not once, then you can display all this on your histogram by means of a legend and color (the signature on the histogram).Do not forget that the common feature for different groups can be represented in the form of adjacent columns, which differ in height. And the answers can be denoted by different colors for clarity.
- Before you build a histogram in Excel, you need to run the program itself, create, and then fill in the table with the required data. Next, you need to select the area of rows and bars that will be the basis of your histogram.
- Now you need to select any cell in our table, go to the "Insert" menu and select "Diagram" or simply click on the "Program Wizard" icon located in the toolbar. If you want your histogram to have automatic settings (default settings), then after selecting the cell, you need to press F11. A histogram appears on a separate sheet.
- Next, we need to choose from the list of types - �Histogram�, and in the �View� section we indicate its subtype. You can use the hint description (bottom window) that can help you make the final choice. In order to understand what type our bar chart will have on the basis of the available data, click �Result�.If you need to create a custom histogram (combination with areas or a chart), then in this case, go to the window. "Custom" and set the desired parameters. Click "Next" to continue.
- Shadow you need to specify a clear range of your data in order to build a histogram. The entire table will be used by default. Select the cells whose information will be displayed in the histogram. Further in the field "Range" you need to specify the necessary values. And then, using the �Rows� switch, we determine which parameter we will point to the x-axis - rows or columns. And click "Next" for further work.
- Go to the �Chart Parameters� window and in the �Headers� tab indicate the name of our histogram and its axes, if necessary. Turning from one tab to another, you can make a picture corresponding to the work that it illustrates. All changes you make are displayed in the preview window. In order to continue work, again click "Next."
- Now we need to tell the editor of our Excel exactly where we want to place the histogram - on a separate sheet or inject it into a worksheet. Set the switch to the appropriate value and click "Finish", thereby completing the work.
It is very important to remember that before you build a histogram in Excel, you need to check and analyze all available data, and only after that you can start creating a histogram. Care and a clear idea of what you want to display, will help you do everything right the first time.