How to Be a Pornstar
One of the most lucrative entertainment industries in the world, porn production brings in almost 100 billion dollars worldwide each year.The potential for this much money has people interested in finding work, but it is not as easy as you might think. Though the life of a porn star is not as glamorous or carefree as it seems, many people have made good money and had fun starting a career in adult entertainment.
Understanding the Porn Industry
Ask yourself if porn is the right industry for you.On the outset, porn seems like the perfect career for adventurous, sexually-active actors. You get paid to have sex almost every day, and the pay is actually pretty good once you get started. But porn comes with a series of risks as well, and they may outweigh the perceived benefits. Things to remember include:
- Your image, once filmed, will be online forever, even if you try and switch careers.
- You need to take the time every day to stay in shape, eat well, and keep clean and hygienic.
- You are not having sex for fun, you are doing it for your job. Expect the intimacy and spontaneity of sex to disappear during a 4-hour video shoot.
- Maintaining a committed relationship while in porn can be almost impossible, as jealousy is only natural.
Remember that you must be 18 years old to act in pornography.This is a heavily enforced rule in the porn industry because breaking it can lead to years of prison and hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines. Even if you are a consenting, willing participant, you must be 18 to be in porn in the United States.
- You must bring proof of age (valid passport, ID, etc.) to with you to a shoot in order to act. Producers are required to copy this proof and keep it on record for years.
Ask how much you will be paid.The average rate for a straight porn star in Brooklyn, NY, is 0-600 for one video shoot. Gay porn stars, however, make three times that, no matter the gender. The general rule of thumb is that the weirder it is from “average,” the more you will get paid. So a straight, guy-girl scene might make 0 while an intense bondage or novelty scene can make ,000 or more.
- The average female porn star averages ,000 a year, but can make upwards of 0,000.
- Top male performers can make more than 0,000 each year, but average far less.
Understand where porn is filmed.Strictly speaking, it is only legally possible to make or act in porn in Los Angeles and New Hampshire.That said, most videos are not location specific, making it impossible to determine where it was shot, so producers will often make videos anywhere. There is a porn industry in many major cities, but to have the best chance of breaking in you need to move to LA. Some major hubs include:
- Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley, California. This is the porn capital of the world.
- New York City, New York
- Orlando, Tampa, and Miami, Florida
- San Diego and San Francisco, CA
- Portland, OR
Realize that it is very difficult to become a porn "star."The porn industry is inundated with young talent that flocks to Los Angeles hoping to make it big. The sad reality, however, is that not everyone can be a well-known, marketable star in any industry. If the only reason you want to be in porn is to be famous, pulling in a six-figure salary every year, you will be sorely disappointed. The porn industry is at its most competitive thanks to the explosion of internet porn, so be ready to work hard to make a name for yourself. Porn is not a lavish lifestyle, it is a job, and you need to treat it as such.
- While no one should ever force you to do something, having wider preferences and being willing to try more things will lead to more gigs and greater success.
Getting Your First Audition
Remember that all body types are beautiful, and lucrative, in porn.One of the most interesting facets of porn is how inclusive it is. Since there is a desire for almost any type of man or woman on the internet, almost any type of man or woman can find a niche in the porn industry. What matters most is confidence on camera, not your look.
- That said, make sure you show your best side for the camera. Exercise, a healthy diet, and a good posture will all help you go far on camera.
Take flattering photographs, both nude and clothed.Producers are most concerned with your look as they cast porn, so they need to see if you will fit in their next video. Capture as much of your body as you can, showing off your best assets whenever possible. If you have an incredible chest, puff it out slightly and make it the center of the photograph. If you are proud of you booty, curve your body so that it is in the frame. The shots you absolutely need are:
- Full body, clothed scantily (tight t-shirt and shorts, lacy tops, etc.)
- Full-body, nude. Men should have a full erection.
Get a full HIV and STD test.One of the benefits of the modern porn industry is its insistence on safe, healthy sex. Any porn shoot you get will demand a current (under 30-days old) STD test to make sure no one contracts a dangerous disease while shooting. You can get an STD test at:
- Your local Planned Parenthood.
- Your physician.
- The hospital or health clinic.
Set personal boundaries about what types of sex you will willingly engage in.If you wouldn’t do it for free at home, you shouldn’t do it for money. Keep this in mind as you book gigs, as it will help you stay happy and healthy as your career begins. Know your limits and “no-go” areas and be honest with producers before taking a gig. Some of the most common types of porn include:
- Fetish:Fetish porn is made to fit a specific, often odd, desire. It can feature almost anything, from costumes of famous TV shows to a predilection for feet.
- BDSM:Standing for “Bondage, Discipline, and Sado-Masochism, this extreme variety of porn features whips, chains, handcuffs, masks, and black leather.
- Sexual Acts:There is a variety of sexual acts and specialty porn genres out there, and you need to know what you are signing up for before showing up. When in doubt,
Check out modeling forums to look for casting calls.Online forums, found easily with an online search for “Adult Modeling Forums,” allow you to post your pictures and search for casting calls. Never give your real name or address on these forums, and instead wait until you are contacted back by a producer who is interested in you.
- You will have to begin in amateur porn before you will be paid for professional porn.
Petition porn studios with your photos.Go directly to nearby porn studios and send them your information through their website’s “contact us” button. Go online and research “Adult Film Studios + your area” to find nearby studios, or check out aggregate sites like Sexyjobs.com to find potential listings.
Bring a friend or chaperone with you to your audition to prevent scams.If a producer says that you cannot bring a guest because it is a “closed set,” then don’t take the audition. You need to protect yourself against scams, and the best way to do this is to have a partner to watch your back.
- For detailed information, classes, and up-to-date changes on laws in adult education, you should sign up for a free
- If a gig seems too good to be true (paying 1,000s of dollars for minimal work) or does not give you concrete details (what you’ll be doing, where, for how long, and for how much), don’t take the gig.
Be ready to perform.An audition will be more than just showing up and snapping a few pictures. You need to be ready to get in the sack and be professional and cooperative. If you’ve booked an audition, you need to know that you’ll be on camera for your first gig. Prepare accordingly.
- Look nice – wear clean clothes, shower, and groom your private areas.
- Be on time.
- Have proof of age and a recent (2-weeks old or less) STD test.
- If you’re a man, show up with a girl. Ron Jeremy famously said that the only way to get into porn is to bring a woman with you. Make sure she is willing to take part as well.
Make your own videos and post them online, as an alternative.The internet age has made it possible for anyone to break into the industry with a camera and a consenting partner. The site MakeLoveNotPorn.tv, for example, lets you post your videos online and make 50% of the profits when people download it. This can be a great way to get comfortable on camera, test your limits, and gain traction in the porn industry.
- Focus on what makes you happy. Be natural on camera and the audience will enjoy it.
- You can point potential producers to these videos later as a sort of “porn resume.”
Building a Career in Porn
Sign with a talent agency for porn stars.Agencies help you book gigs, protect you in case of contract disputes, and put you in touch with other stars and producers. A list of licensed adult agencies can be found on the where you can contact them with your pictures, past movies, or questions. Search around their websites to find one that fits your boundaries and desires. Some large, famous agencies include:
- LA Direct
- OC Modeling
- Burning Angel
- Spiegler Girls
- Lucas Entertainment
- World Modeling
Invent a screen name for your porn persona.While there is no law saying you cannot use your real name, it is usually easier to keep your career under wraps if you make up a new name, or ‘’nom de porn.’’ While you can choose anything, from the normal sounding Ron Jeremy and Jenna Jameson to the more absurd Moe the Monster or Brick Steel, you should try and keep things relatively simple.
- The most common first names are Lisa, Angel, Nicole, Jessica, and Vanessa (female), or David, Tony, Mike, Steve, and Jason (male).
- The most common last names are Love, Star, Foxx, Rose, and Sweet (female), or Lee, James, Stone, Steel, Black, and Williams (male).
Be a professional on-set.Much like a typical movie shoot, porn requires an enormous amount of coordination between cameramen, directors, sound engineers, lighting crews, and actors to succeed. Don’t walk in expecting to be a king – you should be ready for a full 3-4 hours of shooting, re-shooting, and posing. You may have to shoot the same scene 5 times, and you need to deliver and lines and show up at the right place every time. This will be harder than you think after 3-4 hours of near constant performance in the bed.
- Hit your placement – there is usually a place on the ground, marked by tape, that you have to find and stand on without looking down.
- Show up on time, with the proper paperwork documenting your age and STD test.
- Be open and honest on set. Tell the producers your limits beforehand and ask for some time if you have trouble getting it up, getting in costume, or setting a scene.
Know that you will have to conform to someone else’s standards.Porn is entertainment for other people, and the director, writers, and producers will all have a vision for what is the most appealing scene. You need to be flexible and willing to change, whether that means putting on costumes, working frequently, or using shots and pills to enhance your “goods.” This won’t always be pleasant, but is necessary to develop a strong, lasting career.
Do not sign a modeling release form until you have been paid.This may anger producers, but you need to look out for yourself to avoid getting scammed. Wait until you have cash or a check in hand to before signing the contract to make sure your rights are respected.
Diversify your options.A straight male or female who only does one type of porn is, unfortunately, not going to get a lot of work. The porn industry is constantly changing and evolving, and it requires actors who are flexible, eager, and willing to try new things. While you should always respect your boundaries, test out new gigs as you become comfortable in the industry to take your career to the next level.
- Remember, the weirder the shoot, the more you usually get paid.
- Scenes with multiple or same-sex partners often pay the most.
QuestionIs it possible to be a lesbian only porn star?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, it is, just as it's possible to be a straight only porn star.Thanks!
QuestionCan I go to college and be porn star at the same time?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes but be careful, because your social life could be ruined. If someone finds your video or plays it on campus, it could be hard to make friends after that.Thanks!
QuestionI have acne and acne scars. Will this be a problem if I want to become a pornstar?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
QuestionWhat if I want to be a doctor instead?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThen stay in school and don't do porn.Thanks!
QuestionCan an 18 year old girl from India become a porn star?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt is definitely possible, but you might want to think about going to another country that is more friendly towards pornography.Thanks!
QuestionCan I become a porn star and not show my face on camera?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, there are companies that do this. That said, you will not become as famous.Thanks!
QuestionWhen is it too late to get into porn?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt really isn't ever too late to join the industry. There are plenty of people who enjoy older pornstars. For example, MILFs are one of the most popular categories in porn.Thanks!
QuestionCan I become a porn star if I am from another country?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes. It all depends on your look and where you are willing to go. Porn stars are from all over the world.Thanks!
QuestionWhere can I go to start this?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAnywhere, like mentioned above. Big cities such as New York or Los Angeles could be a good start.Thanks!
QuestionIs it possible to work in porn in Thailand?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, assuming you can find a producer in Thailand who wants to hire you.Thanks!
How do I contact a casting agent for pornography?
Are there any gay sex agencies in India?
How do I become a pornstar in a different country from my own?
So I have to groom my private parts?
How can I be a porn director?
- Think long and hard about a career in porn. Once your face is on the internet, there is little chance you will ever get it taken down. You need to be 100% ready for a career in porn before you embark.
- Treat porn like any other job – being kind, professional, and hardworking will help you get far.
- If you have a fetish, don't shame yourself.
- Never take gigs that make you uncomfortable, or work with people who will force you to do something you don’t want to.
- If you cannot verify that a partner is clean of STD’s, do not work with them under any circumstance.
- Beware of stalkers. Celebrities of all types have had to deal with at least one overzealous or out of touch fan that for some reason latches on to them and won't let go. If you find yourself confronted with such a fan then report them to police and notify your agency's legal department in case you need help filing for a restraining order.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , 中文: , Русский: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Tiếng Việt: , Português: , ไทย:
About This Article
Jun 11, 2019
Jun 12, 2019
Aug 22, 2019
Aug 13, 2019
Apr 4, 2019
May 28, 2019
Jul 18, 2019
Oct 21, 2019
Jul 20, 2019
Aug 1, 2019
Jul 25, 2019
May 11, 2019
Jul 13, 2019
May 11, 2019
Oct 13, 2019
Sep 17, 2019
Jul 13, 2019
Jul 4, 2019
Aug 29, 2019
May 21, 2019
Jul 17, 2019
May 31, 2019
Mar 8, 2019
Jul 16, 2019
Video: I Googled How To Be a Porn Star | Becoming Belle Knox
20 Movies We Are Absolutely Stoked to Watch in 2019
How to Wear Leggings to Work
How to Plan a Garage
Men Outfits With Loafers- 30 Ideas How To Wear Loafers Shoes
How to Make a Canopy
Can a Person Be Diagnosed with Simultaneous Depression and Bipolar Disorder
Because knowing is half the battle
14.5 trillion investment needed by 2040 to meet global power needs
Insulin Glargine-Lixisenatide Reviews
2013 Short Curly Hairstyles with Bangs
12 Ways Kate Middleton Is Redefining Mom’ Style
7 Signs Your Headache Isnt Normal
Lavender Oil: An Effective Home Remedy for Anxiety