Half Lotus Pose or Ardha Padmasana
is so strongly identified with yoga that a lot of people think that it's the only option for sitting cross-legged or for . Not so! Full lotus requires really open hips so that there's no strain on your knees. Getting there can be a long process, but there are several places to stop along the way as your body opens and responds to a consistent practice.
The first cross-legged position to attempt is very basic: easy pose-sukasana. When you become very comfortable in this position, you can start working on half lotus, as described below. It's best to practice this pose at the end of a yoga session when you are warmed up.
- Type of pose: Seated, hip opener
- Benefits: Stretches the muscles around the pelvis, legs, and ankles
- From easy pose, use your hands to bring your right foot on top of your left calf with the sole of the foot facing upwards.
- Adjust your right foot so that it is as high as possible on your left thigh. You can use your hands to encourage your foot into position. Eventually, the idea is to settle the top of the right foot into your left hip crease.
- Keep your left knee bent so that the left shin rests comfortably on the floor in a cross-legged position.
- Lift the crown of your head toward the ceiling and roll your shoulders away from your ears to keep the spine long. Your hands can rest on your thighs with the palms turned up or down.
- Take at least ten breaths here.
- Release and set yourself up with the right foot on the bottom and the left foot on top. One side will probably feel easier, but try to do both sides whenever you sit in the pose for more than a few breaths.
Video: Beginners Yoga - Half Lotus Pose
Treasuring the moments of remission
How to Eat Pita Bread
6 Signs that will Tell you If the Food on your Plate Each Day is Healthy or Not
How to Make Coffee Cake
How to Run a Cattle Ranch
How to Eat Healthy Without Even Trying
Marks Spencer to charge 5p per plastic bag
How to Help Shelter Dogs
How to Visually Imitate a Belly Button Piercing Without Actual Piercing
Pinucci London x STK
How to Access Gmail on Desktop Email Software
The muscle-building leg-day workout
Olivia Grant’s LA diary
How This British Fashion Editor Achieves Effortless French-Girl Style